Monday, February 8, 2010

"Time is the most valuable thing you can give a person."


My new friend Charlie told me this in one of our many discussions, and I truly think its one of the best pieces of advice I’ve ever received. Charlie’s one of those guys you can’t help but love. This retired New Yorker can hardly ever be taken seriously, but he makes me laugh so I put up with him. I really admire Charlie because even though he jokes around a lot, he truly does give so much. Charlie is a long term volunteer here at Mission on the Bay, and he’s doing it just because he loves it.

I don’t think Charlie was really trying to give me advice, but he really got me thinking when he said, “Time is the most valuable thing you can give a person.” It made me think about my life and wonder how I’ve given my time. Charlie does this everyday, and it truly is inspiring. Looking back on how I do things, I really don’t think I’ve given my time like I could have. I’ve always tended to fill my life with activities so spare time was really hard to find. When it came to giving, I was great at organizing an event or throwing money at a charity, but did I ever really give me time? My heart? No. I was sincere in my actions, but sitting and truly listening to a person who needs you is different. Giving your time, even if you don’t have time to give. I don’t know… I’ve just been thinking about this so much, and it’s something I really want to work on. I want to be a better friend, and give my friends the time they need. I want to be there for my family. Rather than talking all about my life on the phone, ask them about their lives. And I especially want to be here for the people I’ve met in Mississippi. I don’t want to just go through the checklist of things a volunteer is supposed to do. I want to offer my heart… if that makes sense. I truly want to hear, feel and understand.

Just something I’ve been thinking about…

5 comments:

  1. Love the Lord with all your heart, mind and soul. I like how you jump in to your surroundings so completely, making it personal and having the courage to let it affect you - maybe even change you. Not everyone has that kind of courage. Or maybe it's trust in the Lord...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, my name is Charlene. Charlie is my dad and he continues to tell me good things about everyone down in Mississippi. He is always full of good advice, unfortunately I tend to not listen to him all the time. I am glad to hear that his advice is going to good use. He is always right, although he would die if he knew I was saying that! Thanks for keeping my dad happy in Mississippi.

    Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, my name is Caryn and I am Charlie's oldest daughter. Finer words not spoken in my book. I have been in the military for 18 years and just spent a year living amongst Afghans on a training/humitarian mission. I also did some humitarian work in Africa for a few months and am so glad my dad has found something he really likes to do and has met so many wonderful people down in MS. May God bless all of you doing such wonderful things for others. Keep my dad smiling and thanks for what you are doing.

    Caryn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fran,
    you are so lucky to be learning these things so young. I feel like it has taken me 40 years to get even close to what you are starting to realize. It's a work in progress. You are an amazing young woman.
    Angie

    ReplyDelete