Thursday, February 11, 2010

Red Onions


Even after almost cutting my finger completely off and crying more than I ever have in one week (due to the onions), I can honestly say I had an awesome week in the kitchen. I bet I washed over 1000 dishes, diced over 100 vegetables and realized more about service than I ever have.

When I came to Mississippi to volunteer, I figured the majority of my time would be spent on the worksite doing construction. However, after being here for a few days, I realized that there is so much more than just construction. Feeding the volunteers that come through Mission on the Bay was a really cool experience, and I now have a new understanding of the big picture of service. When working at a recovery center like Mission on the Bay, every role is just as important as another. Without one, the others aren’t everything they can be. It was really cool to realize this.

Ohh! And just so you know… my finger is healing quite nicely. Just watch out for red onions when I’m in the kitchen! (That’s what Charlie says.) AND I am now a cornbread master! Just something to look forward to until I come home!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Frances. I am enjoying your blog. Think I will ask the Mission Colorado team to follow. Dad and I miss you and love you. Look for package tomorrow. XO Mom

    ReplyDelete