Sunday, January 31, 2010

Work, New Orleans, etc...


Hey Ya’ll!

So after speaking to my parents, I realized I needed to explain some things a little more. To be honest, this first week has been so busy that I really haven’t had a chance to blog. Now I’m getting into the swing of things, and I’m looking forward to sharing experiences and posting photos.

Here is my plan for the next ten weeks:

I am volunteering with Mission on the Bay. This is an organization run by LESM (Lutheran Episcopal Services in Mississippi). LESM houses and feeds volunteers who come to do hurricane relief work. I am interning with LESM so my job is to work with these volunteers. I’ve spent my first week learning about the organization, but now the real work begins. Starting tomorrow I will be on a weeklong rotation schedule and this will teach me everything I need to know about running a non-profit organization. My first week will be spent in the kitchen… making meals for all of the volunteers staying here at the center. My second week in the case management office… determining what families need our help. My third week on the worksite doing construction. And my fourth week will be working with the administration. I’ll be working with Butch (the guy in charge), and I’m really excited for him to teach me everything he knows. After this first month of rotations, I’ll choose my favorite and spend the rest of my time working with that department. I’ve also requested to volunteer in an elementary school one day a week, and hopefully that will begin this week.

I apologize for not posting more this first week. I’ve just been trying to figure out exactly what I’m doing, and now I feel like I have a good handle on things. I’ve been experiencing the culture this week and loving it. The south truly is a whole different world.

I spent this last weekend in New Orleans. After Katrina, I always wondered why hurricane victims didn’t just leave. I didn’t understand why they would continue to rebuild, even though another hurricane would most likely come in a few years. I didn't understand one bit.

Now I get it. I started to understand in Bay Saint Louis this week, but after being in New Orleans, it makes perfect sense. I really can’t even explain it, but New Orleans has more pride, love and personality than any city I’ve ever seen. They are united by what they’ve been through, and they are stronger because of it. This is home, and leaving it isn't even an option for them. I was part of the New Orleans crowd on Saturday. I spent my day walking around, talking to fun people, and visiting little shops. I even bought myself a “WHO DAT” sweatshirt. I don’t even want to leave after spending a week here. I can understand why someone who’s spent his or her whole life here wouldn’t leave after the storm. I have a new respect for these people and what they stand for.

Time for bed, but I promise I’ll post more.

xoxo, Fran

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great experience! I am following. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete