Monday, January 25, 2010

We have arrived!

Greetings from Bay St. Louis!

Sorry I haven’t posted. So much has been going on. I was in Moscow last week and loved seeing everyone, but it broke my heart to say goodbye. I am so thankful for so many amazing friends. But now I am in Mississippi and am absolutely loving it! I can’t even really explain it, but there’s a feeling I get when I’m in the south. The people have the biggest hearts, and everyone is always willing to tell a story or have a conversation. It really does feel like home.

But now I’ll tell you about what I’m doing here…

I’m working with an organization called Lutheran Episcopal Services in Mississippi (LESM). I guess I’m officially considered staff at Mission on the Bay because I am interning here at the volunteer center. This volunteer center houses thousands of volunteers every year. Some are working with Habitat for Humanity, others with Americore, and some simply work for Mission on the Bay. I’m working at the center with volunteers so they can do great things and have an amazing experience. Some days I’ll spend my time learning about the administrative side of things, others will be focused on hospitality, and some are spent doing casework. Of course, I’ll also be doing lots of construction. I’ve requested to volunteer at a local elementary school once or twice a week, and I’m meeting with the principal tomorrow, so hopefully that will work out.

I seriously love it here. The people are amazing. There is no doubt in my mind that some of these people will be my lifelong friends… and I’ve only been here for 24 hours. Yesterday was ridiculous! The Saints won so it was a celebration! We had a bon fire and stayed up way too late even though we all had to wake up at 6:00 am. I can’t wait for all these new experiences.

I’m really tired tonight, and I have so much homework, but soon I want to write and focus on some of the books I’m reading and connect them to this experience! Shoot me a text or e-mail sometime. I’d love to hear from everyone!

Xoxo Fran

1 comment:

  1. Fran! I am reading a book called Boom! written by Tom Brokaw about people who lived through the 60's. You remind me of the people in that book - quietly making a difference in the world because you can't help but do otherwise. Someday - I'll probably be reading about you. :) I'm so proud of you and I hope you enjoy your time in the South.

    ReplyDelete